19 July 2008

MM Vol 2 - 125 - Jeff Buckley


MM Vol 2 #125

Jeff Buckley

"Lilac Wine"

(1994)
.
.
Genre:Voice Of God/Vocal
Art by faune
Ahh ..... [long pause] .. Honestly, where do I start? This artist is one of my "personal" favourites and I guess I wasn't really prepared to talk about him till he entered The Definitive 1000 at some point. If there was a forum for music, I would argue, Is there anyone better as an artist than this man? Sure, I would get the Elvis, John Lennon and Michael Jackson fans disagreeing with me armed with baseball bats spiked with nails protruding out. Well, maybe not the Jackson fans, they would be armed with wet socks. So I think I will save my thoughts for when it comes time when Jeff enters the appropiate stage in Definitive... if thats OK with you guys.
The grace of voice
Jeff Buckley was many things, but humble wasn't one of them. Grace is an audacious debut album, filled with sweeping choruses, bombastic arrangements, searching lyrics, and above all, the richly textured voice of Buckley himself, which resembled a cross between Robert Plant, Van Morrison, and his father Tim. And that's a fair starting point for his music: Grace sounds like a Led Zeppelin album written by an ambitious folkie with a fondness for lounge jazz. At his best -- the soaring title track, "Last Goodbye," and the mournful "Lover, You Should've Come Over" -- Buckley's grasp met his reach with startling results; at its worst, Grace is merely promising. ~ [Stephen Thomas Erlewine, All Music Guide]
I don't think I have ever disagreed with Mr Erlewine in all the songs I have written, simply, Mr Erlewine is the best in the business, but I have to disagree with his thoughts on that post.
For Robert Plant visit Def 1000 #845
For Van Morrison visit Def 1000 #987
For Tim Buckley visit Def 1000 #508
For Led Zeppelin visit Def 1000 #577 & #957
This song has a crowbarred rating of 86.4 out of 108

Search Artist here:1-2-3-A-B-C-D-E-F-G-H-I-J-K-L-M-N-O-P-Q-R-S-T-U-V-W-X-Y-Z


Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Biaca said...

god, i love jeff!

2:01 am  
Blogger crowbarred said...

extremely gifted singer, i miss him too

10:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home